Saturday, April 6, 2013

Japanese Cherry Trees to Bloom

Cherry Blossoms Peak .... story

The cherry blossoms are expected to finally peak this weekend.

Sunday is supposed to be a beautiful, sunny 70 degree day in Washington, D.C. and the cherry blossoms are expected to be at peak bloom.  And... we're going to be there to see it .... might even take pictures for you.
The Jefferson Memorial in this picture holds a special memory for me, and is a perfect backdrop for the renowned blossoms from the more than 3000 Japanese Cherry Trees that line the tidal basin.  By Sunday, or early next week, more than 70% of the buds are expected to be blooming.

This link tells  the whole story of the original trees that had to be destroyed, and the replacement trees sent by the Japanese. 

6 comments:

  1. I lived in the DC area 1979-1999; cherry blossom time = gawking idiot tourists, crowds, traffic. but also some beautiful scenes, such as the picture above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I will be one of those gawking idiot tourists for a few hours [although I have seen the trees in bloom before]. But...I will be in good company so I really don't mind at all.

      Delete
    2. "I will be in good company so I really don't mind at all." - I wonder who THAT might be (as if I couldn't guess)? ;-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds awesome! Wish I could be there.
    Have a great time in the "big city"!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the pic. I've learned that the desert is beautiful in many ways but, after living here for a while, there is something startlingly beautiful about blooming flowers and trees.

    ReplyDelete